26.11.11

Why Don't Touch Screens Work for Me?

Over the years and being one of the pioneer touch screen adopters, I have heard the phrase several times, "Why don't touch screens work for me?"  So I began to watch people as they interacted with touch screens.  The problem becomes more of an issue depending on the angle of the touch screen.

When I say touch screens, I should clarify, I am not talking about phone usage.  But more rather, larger tablets and full on screens of 10" or more.   The problem is quite simple.  Don't drag your knuckles  :)  Yes, its usually that simple.

I noticed that people would point with their index digit, however the remaining 3 fingers were not tucked away, they would drag the screen ever so slightly.  Thats it, I swear.  If you have issues using a touch screen, pay attention to your final 3 digits.  :)   Even though you may not "feel" then touch the screen, they likely are firing a touch point.

Remember the two most prevalent touch screen technologies today are capasitive and optical (Lets just forget resistive   :P  ).  Without going into details of how these work, you don't really need to "touch" the screen.  You can try this.  Slowly move your finger to a touch point on a screen and notice that the touch point will fire jjjjjjjjuuuuuusssssstttttt before your finger touches.  :)

Your remaining 3 digits are firing touch points on the screen without your knowing and causing the issues  of a touch screen not working for you.  :)




No comments: